Wednesday, September 14, 2005

logistical vomit

So much is going on…both externally and internally. These next few weeks are going to be hella busy. Eman’s folks are in town starting today, and our niece’s 100th day celebration is next thursday, and my bro & sisinlaw’s 10 year anniversary is the day after, and the day after that is my friend chindia’s wedding. I told her I’d keep my evenings next week free [aside from my niece’s 100th day thing] for any last minute wedding stuff that needs to get done. And the week after her wedding is jamie’s wedding, which I’m helping to coordinate. All these weddings…it’s exciting..even tho’ they're not mine, and fun to help out, but man it’ll be busy!

On another note, I love my mechanic. Let me explain. I had been driving around for the past 2 or so months with the car shaking every time I got on the fwy. Then on Sunday, I noticed that it was quaking violently while just on surface streets, so I took it in. I hadn’t seen my mechanic in months, so he kinda knew something was up when I drove in w/o calling first. It turns out, I had an oil leak and a gas leak among other things, and my poor baby had to have extensive emergency procedures done. =( My mechanic scolded me for driving it around as long as I did with it vibrating so much. I promised him I wouldn’t ignore signs like that anymore. Isn’t he a great mechanic? And for all the work that he did…I got charged about half of what I’d normally get charged had I gone somewhere else. That’s why I love my mechanic!!! He takes care of my car, is honest, does great work, and is always willing to work with my budget. I gave him a small box of chocolates as a thank you. =) Oh, and he said I could drive my car for another 100,00 miles as long as I maintain it well, so I’ve also decided not to replace my car this year. It just doesn’t make much sense, especially with the soaring gas prices and my short commute to work…what do I need a new car for? If I need to drive long distances I’ll just borrow eman’s car. maybe NEXT fall/winter I’ll get something a little newer.

So aside from my schedule and my car, I’ve started to read up on small and home-based businesses. Why? Coz December is just around the corner, and December is when I plan to quit. And since I want to continue working, just not in an office, I thought I’d better start educating myself about the realities of running my own show. And so far, it sounds terrifying. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have a single business-savvy bone in my body. So I have a lot of questions, and I’m struggling a lot with the “how’s” and “what ifs” of it all. I’m not the dreamer I once was, so the practical me is feuding a little w/the romantic me. For instance, the practical me says to keep my job for a little longer…til I’ve done all my research and have gotten the ball rolling…maybe quit in the spring. But the romantic me says to stick to my guns, put myself out there, and give it my all from the get-go...that getting the ball rolling after quitting in December is fine coz it’ll give me more time and freedom to focus and get the research done faster. I dunno. I really want to quit. And if I could just work part-time at the office, I would. But it seems like all or nothing. And what makes me think I can pull off my own home-based business anyway? Am I just fooling myself? Would it be better if I just stayed put and stopped chasing dreams? [sigh.] I wish I knew.

1 comment:

Hannah Jung said...

wow. thanks maelrubha! that's very kind of you, and i appreciate your encouragement very much. =)