Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sacrifice for the joy?

my therapist said something a couple of months ago that i just CANNOT forget. we were talking about sacrifice, and the conversation went something like this:

Therapist: [nodding] Yes, sacrifice can be very embittering at times. It's a good thing Jesus sacrificed for the joy.

Me: [quiet, looking at her stunned] Sacrificed for the joy? What do you mean? i've never heard that before. He sacrificed for whose joy?

Therapist: For His own, i imagine, and for His Father's.

Me: [still looking at her stunned, not understanding] Huh? He sacrificed for His own joy? Not for the joy of other people? The people who would benefit from His sacrifice?

Therapist:: [shrugging] Well, what do you think? Do you think He only sacrificed for the joy of others? Or, is it possible that He also sacrificed joyfully, because of His love for others?

Me: Huh? That doesn't make any sense to me. He sacrificed joyfully? I mean, for His own joy as well? Not just for others?

Therapist: [smiling] I'm just putting that out there. I'm curious to know why you're reacting so strongly to this though.

Me: Coz WHO sacrifices for their OWN joy? Isn't sacrifice, by nature, purely to benefit the recipient(s) at your own personal expense?

Therapist: Is it?

Me: I dunno! Now I'm confused! If you're right, then I'm a doofus! Coz I've never thought about sacrifice that way. [pause...musing out loud] I guess, without joy however, sacrifice is just about martyring yourself then. Right?

Therapist: I'll let you tackle that one. I think it might be worth wrestling with.

SOOOOOOOOO...

I've been wrestling with it...and wrestling with it...and I think I'm beginning to understand. STARTING to understand. But just in wrestling with it, and telling God I want Him to explain it to me in a way I would understand...it's made such a big impact in my outlook on things...on life in general. I find it to be...freeing. Oh so freeing.

1 comment:

wumanjoo said...

Awesome, Hannah! Sounds like you've found a great therapist. :-)